Here’s an odd, but interesting article (especially if you’re a comic book geek — which I am) on comic books and beer. The author makes suggestions of beers to pair with your favorite comic book characters. Weird, but why not? We’ve tried pairing beer with everything else at this point, so why not comic books.
Here’s the list, though I’d encourage to check out author Thom Dunn’s reasons for each pairing.
- Batman: Young’s Double Chocolate Stout or Left Hand Milk Stout
- Captain America: Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- Daredevil: India Pale Ale
- The Flash: Four Loko
- Ghost Rider: Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Green Lantern: Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
- The Hulk: Brooklyn Monster Ale
- Iron Man: Chimay
- Spiderman: Hard Cider
- Superman: Yuengling Lager
- Wolverine: Labatt’s Blue
- X-Men: Anything from Dogfish Head
The two that seem most wrong to me are Batman and Wolverine’s choices. Batman wouldn’t drink something sweet, he’d have an imperial stout, something bigger and rougher like Three Floyd’s Dark Lord. And a better Canadian choice for Wolverine would be Unibroue’s Maudite, which is based on a legend of eight lumberjacks, a pact with the devil and a flying canoe.
And here’s a couple more I came up with. What comic book and beer pairing would you suggest to add to the list?
- Ant Man or The Atom: Anchor Small Beer
- Green Arrow or Hawkeye: Strongbow Cider
- The Joker: Shmaltz Brewing’s Coney Island Freak beers
- Martian Manhunter: Biere de Mars
- The Penguin: BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin
- The Punisher: Steel Reserve
- Silver Surfer: Maui Big Swell IPA
- Thor: RedHook Long Hammer IPA
- Wonder Woman: Amazon Beer