Today’s infographic is entitled the Beer & Food Cheat Sheet, and was created by The Savory. It shows eight basic kinds of beer and makes some suggestions of three or four basic foods that they think pairs with each, along with some additional tips below the infographic.
Today’s bonus infographic is also from Thrillist, and is entitled Red, White and Food. Like the earlier beer map, this one shows the most iconic fast food restaurant associated with each state, with this stated goal. “This is an attempt to maximize the most noteworthy restaurant chain (with an emphasis on fast food where possible) associated with each state. Could mean it was founded there. Could mean it’s headquartered there. Could mean both.”
Thursday’s ad is for Carling Black Label, from 1953. It’s from their “People Like It” series, and features a big hunk of cheese to pair with your beer. Even back then they knew that cheese and beer is a divine pairing, though I have to wonder if that’s the right beer for that cheese. Everything old is new again.
Earlier tonight, the 2013 Good Food Award winners were announced at a ceremony at the Grand Hall in the San Francisco Ferry Building. I had hoped to be there, but have been hunkering down trying to finish my book before SF Beer Week kicks off in a few weeks.
This is the third year for the Good Food Awards, where in addition to beer, they also judge Charcuterie, Cheese, Chocolate, Coffee, Pickles, Preserves and Spirits. The website also includes a ninth category, Confections, but for some reason they’re not listed among the winners. I judged the first year, and again this year. The awards are conducted by the Seedling Projects.
- Ballast Point Brewing Company, Winter San Salvador Black Lager, California
- Bear Republic Brewing Company, Tartare, California
- Deschutes Brewery, Obsidian Stout, Oregon
- Elm City Brewing Company, Monadnock Mountain Ale, New Hampshire
- Full Sail Brewing Co., Ltd6, Oregon
- Fullsteam Brewery, First Frost, North Carolina
- Hopworks Urban Brewery, HUB Organic Lager, Oregon
- Independence Brewing Co., Convict Hill Stout, Texas
- Jester King Craft Brewery, Boxer’s Revenge, Texas
- Lakefront Brewery, My Turn: Luther & Wisconsinite Summer Weiss, Wisconsin
- Mill Valley Beerworks, Four Brothers, California
- Pagosa Brewing Company, Chili Verde, Colorado
- Rolling Meadows Brewery, Abe’s Ale, Illinois
Congratulations to all the winners.