Tuesday’s ad is for Rheingold, from 1951. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, Rheingold recruited a number of prominent celebrities to do ads for them, all using the tagline: “My beer is Rheingold — the Dry beer!” In this ad, American actress Shelley Winters explains that she can in fact make up her mind when choosing paint colors, and she always chooses the red from cans of Rheingold Extra Dry.
Archives for January 30, 2018
For our 132nd Session, our host will be John Abernathy, who writes about beer at The Brew Site website. For his topic, inspired by the news that BA and AHA founder Charlie Papazian recently announced his retirment, has been thinking about homebrewing and is calling his topic Homebrewing Conversations. Essentially he’s calling for anything about “homebrewing — the good, the bad, your experiences, ideas, (mis)conceptions, or whatever else suits you, as long as it starts the conversation!”
Here are some suggestions Jon has about how you could approach the topic:
- Do you homebrew, and if so, for how long? How did you get started?
- Talk about the best beer you ever brewed at home—and your worst!
- Are you a member of a local homebrew club (or even the AHA)? Tell us about your club.
- Describe your home set up: do you brew all grain? Extract? Brew in a bag? Unusual mashing/sparging/etc. methods?
- Have you ever judged a homebrew competition? Talk about that experience.
- Are you a BJCP or other accredited beer judge? Talk about the process of becoming certified/official.
- Never homebrewed/not a homebrewer? No problem! Consider these questions:
- Do you know any homebrewers?
- Have you ever tasted someone’s home brewed beer?
- Would you ever be interested in learning how to brew? Why or why not?
So by this Friday, February 2, or thereabouts, start your homebrewing conversation. To participate in the February Session, simply leave a comment at the original announcement and leave the URL to your post there, or tag him on Twitter or on Facebook (or even Instagram) with your post, and I’ll round up all the entries early next week.