Tuesday’s ad is for Brauerei-Stocken, from around 1900. From the late 1800s until the 1960s, poster art really came into its own, and in Europe a lot of really cool posters, many of them for breweries, were produced. This poster was made for Brauerei-Stocken, in Bruggen, Switzerland, located in the Canton of St. Gallen. It was founded in 1784 by Joseph Moosser, but closed in 1973. The artist who created the poster was Swiss painter Anton Trieb.
Archives for July 2, 2019
Today is the birthday of William F. Weber (July 2, 1853-1909). He was born in Detroit, Michigan, but moved to Saginaw as a young man, marrying Bertha Raquet, whose father Peter Raquet founded the P. & J. Raquet Brewery in 1870, renaming it the National Brewery a few years later. When his father-in-law died, Weber and two other sons-in-law continued to run the business. One was bought out, and when another one died, his wife, one of Raquet’s daughter’s, Emma, stepped in and she and William F. Weber soldiered on and the brewery remained in business until 1941, when they switched back to soda (which they made during Prohibition) and continued making National Pop, at least until the 1980s.
This is his obituary, from the American Brewers’ Review:
This account of the brewery is from the Michigan Federation of Labor’s “Official Year Book” for 1906-07.
Today is not the birthday of John Fritsch (December 1827-July 2, 1906). Unfortunately, the exact date of his birth is not known, just the year. But we do know he passed away on July 2, 1906, so this is as good a day as any. He was born in Germany, but came to America, settling in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1846, when he was 19 years old. He became foreman of the Blaess & Burgman Brewery, and later married the boss’s daughter, Elizabeth Blaess. He thereafter opened his own brewery, John Fritsch Brewing, but when his son Emile joined him in the business, changed the name to the John Fritsch and Son Brewery. The brewery closed for good a year after his death, in 1907.
Here’s his obituary from the Western Brewer and Journal of the Barley, Malt and Hop Trades:
I wasn’t able to find very much additional information about Fritsch or his brewery. He did, however, sue a newspaper editor for libel in Harrisburg. This short article is is from the Harrisburg Telegraph, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on March 16, 1879:
Then two days later, the Harrisburg Telegraph for March 18, 1879 had this fuller report: