Beer Birthday: Lew Bryson

lew-bryson
Today is my friend and fellow beer writer Lew Bryson’s 55th birthday. You can read his writings at his website, lewbryson.com, and these days more often his blog, Seen Through a Glass. Then there’s also his Session Beer Project and his political Why the PLCB Should Be Abolished. Lew is my favorite big galoot and the brother I never had. More recently he’s left the beer world behind, professionally at least, to become the managing editor of Whiskey Advocate. Join me is raising a glass and wishing Lew a very happy birthday.

gabf08-33
Award-winning beer writer Lew with Pete Slosberg at GABF a couple of years ago.

wbfnc08-20
Lew and Rick Lyke at the World Beer Festival in Durham in 2008.

gabf06-sat-04
Birthday boy Lew (middle) flanked by fellow Pennsylvanians Don Russell (a.k.a. Joe Sixpack) and Jack Curtin. I’m originally from Pennsylvania, too. What is it about the Commonwealth and beer writers?

lew-me
Me and Lew at Triple Rock three years ago.

Comments

1. Loren says

Ah…never knew Lew was a fellow aquarius. Explains his brilliance with all things beer.
    :-)

Happy Belated Birthday (former) BIG guy!
    Cheers!

2. says

Aw, shucks. Thanks, Jay, ya big galoot. I had a great day: wife and both kids had work called off for the storm, so we just lazed about in the morning. Later I shoveled three inches of sleet off the sidewalk and driveway, then celebrated by driving into town for a Rogue Strong Ale at Isaac Newton’s. Then I came home and pretended I’d just been to the P.O., and had a Stegmaier Bock…mmmm. The we all went down to the Grey Lodge in Philly for dinner: Flying Bison Herc C-130 Strong Ale (biggest FB beer I’ve ever had, nice stuff) and a Flying Fish Love Fish in honor of the day I share my birthday with. Came home, hung with the family, then capped things off with a measure of Weller Antique bourbon. 48 feels GOOD!

And good idea, cutting off Jack’s comment. You never know what’s going to come out of him.

3. says

I just started reading Lew’s blog recently and have subscribed to it on my Google Reader. Helps me get through the long days at work.

Happy birthday Lew from the other side of PA and fellow Feb (21st)birthday beer guy!

cheers from shouldidrinkthat.com!

4. sam k says

Well, I join everyone else in wishing L.B. a happy “swiftly approaching 50″ birthday. For the record, it’s not about the Commonwealth and beer writers, it’s simply about the Commonwealth and beer! With the richest brewing history of the original 13 colonies, let alone the 50 states (and currently a helluva lineup of micros and brewpubs), we’re bound to have the best damn beer writers this side of the pond! God bless ya all!

5. Maibock Lover says

Lew,

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life. Grow up you bloated loud mouth. Oh, I almost forgot,
    Happy Birthday from your friends at the Touch of Asia Spa.

6. Kim and Harry Graham says

Happy Bday Lew!!!! Not sure if you remember us from Ohio Brew Week a couple of years ago but we shared some good beers and fun times. Cheers! Hope you have a beery good day!