Under the title “Pub Crawl,” Men’s Fitness magazine chose “America’s five best bars for beer lovers,” a pretty audacious claim right out of the gate. Their five:
- Freakin’ Frog (Las Vegas, NV)
- The Map Room (Chicago, IL)
- Kennedy School’s Courtyard Restaurant (Portland, OR)
- Spuyten Duyvil (Brooklyn, NY)
- Brickskeller (Washington, DC)
I don’t know if their list was meant to be in any particular order, but this is how they were listed in the article. These would be mine, at least today. Tomorrow I might feel differently, who knows.
- Toronado (San Francisco, CA)
- Monk’s Cafe (Philadelphia, PA)
- Falling Rock Taphouse (Denver, CO)
- Horse Brass (Portland, OR)
- Brouwer’s (Seattle, WA)
Mine are simply in the order that they came to me as I put down the first five that came to mind. It’s been years since I’ve been to the Brickskeller, unfortunately, and that’s probably the only reason they’re not on my list. Sorry Dave, I’ve got to get out East more. As I write this, many more come to mind, but that’s the way these lists are.
As a bonus, they also list the “Best Micro Brews,” but at least these were chosen by Ray Daniels and Julie Bradford Johnson. This list is pretty good, if fairly safe. I like all of these breweries though, naturally I would have chosen perhaps a slightly different list. Also, a lot depends on what criteria you use as to what standards you look at in determining the “best micro brews.” What does that mean exactly? Anyway, here’s their list. I’ll have to think about what ten I’d choose.
- Allagash Brewing Company
- Brooklyn Brewery
- Deschutes Brewery
- Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- New Glarus Brewing Company
- Odell Brewing Company
- Rogue Ales
- Russian River Brewing Company
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- North Coast Brewing Company