Jack McAuliffe Visits Russian River

new-albion-banner
Quite by accident yesterday I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with Jack McAuliffe, founder of New Albion Brewery. I had to meet some new friends from Argentina at Russian River Brewery (more on that later) and when I arrived, I found out that Jack was coming by to have lunch with Russian River owners Vinnie and Natalie Cilurzo. I knew Jack was still in California because at CBC last week, where I met him for the first time (more about that later, too), he’d said as much. And I knew Natalie had invited Jack to come by their brewpub, where the original New Albion sign (that I later learned Jack made himself) hung behind the bar in a prominent place, but I didn’t know any of the details.

P1030765
Vinnie and Natalie with Jack McAuliffe and his friend Pat Crisco.

Vinnie and Natalie generously invited me join them for lunch with Jack and a friend of his, Pat, who he was staying with for the week. We sat below the New Albion sign and talked, drank and ate. For an amateur beer historian, it was nothing short of remarkable. Jack told great stories about his early days in brewing — some can be retold, others perhaps not — but all of them colorful and entertaining. I knew as much of New Albion’s story as had been told, but to hear it from the man who lived it was such a treat, plus Jack added many personal details that I’d never known before which was amazing to hear. Anyway, at some point, Jack pointed up at the old sign and asked Vinnie if he’d like him to sign it. I’m not sure we all believed he’d do it, but we got out the ladder and up he climbed, sharpie between his teeth like a beer pirate.

P1030749
Jack up on the ladder signing the New Albion sign.

P1030761
Signing it up close.

P1030756
Signing the sign.

P1030762
The finished old sign, now new again with Jack McAuliffe’s signature.

P1030766
Jack and me at Russian River. What a great afternoon.

UPDATE: During Jack’s visit to Russian River, I met Peter Stetson who does social media for the town of Calistoga, and he also took some photos and captured some video of Jack signing the New Albion sign. Thanks, Peter.

Comments

1. Dave H says

Ac/DC’s “It’s a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘n’ Roll)” playing in the background of the video as Jack climbs a ladder to autograph his sign at the Russian River Brewery seems like it almost couldn’t have been an accident.

2. Paul Kavulak says

I was there during CBC and noticed the sign – we had a brief conversation about New Albion and the history it represents to us all – what a fantastic meeting for you!

3. says

Jack’s a great guy with some great stories. I’m glad he got the chance to get up to Russian River, and I’m glad you got the chance to speak with him. Everybody involved in Craft Beer today owes Jack a debt of gratitude, and I’m happy he’s finally getting the credit he’s due.

4. Douglas Getty says

What a Day not to go to the Pub. I drank his Beers back in the 70’s. Wish I could hav’d thanked .

5. says

Jay, I *love* that you were there, and preserved the moment for all of us to see. I sat at that very bar last October and told my husband Paul we had to get Jack there someday. I’m so glad he made it. And how cool that he signed the New Albion sign! So glad Vinnie and Natalie have that bit of brewing history preserved for craft brew fans everywhere to see.
    Cheers!
    Renee (Jack’s daughter)

6. Randy Locke says

How cool it was I’m sure, I still have a collection of new Albion bottles( Including a Yuletide Ale bottle), a wooden box, some never used labels and Jacks bussiness card(framed). I would of loved to see Jack again and reminis about the summer solctice party were they had made(for the party) a Red Dragon ale!

Trackbacks

1. […] Meanwhile, my father Jack is still in California, enjoying time with friends and making some more great beer memories. Jack spent some time visiting Vinnie and Natalie Cilurzo at the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, and beer writer Jay R. Brooks just happened to be there. He chronicled their afternoon in his Brookston Beer Bulletin: http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/jack-mcauliffe-visits-russian-river/. […]