Today in 1787, Delaware became the 1st state.
- Dogfish Head Brewings and Eats
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
- Evolution Craft Brewing Company
- Fordham Brewing
- Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- Old Dominion Brewing
- 16 Mile Brewing
- Stewart’s Brewing
- Twin Lakes Brewing
Delaware Brewery Guides
Guild: Delaware Craft Brewers Guild
State Agency: Delaware Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement
- Capital: Dover
- Largest Cities: Wilmington, Dover, Newark, Milford, Seaford
- Population: 783,600; 45th
- Area: 2489 sq.mi., 49th
- Nicknames: First State / Diamond State / Blue Hen State
- Statehood: 1st, December 7, 1787
- Alcohol Legalized: December 5, 1933
- Number of Breweries: 10
- Rank: 40th
- Beer Production: 723,426
- Production Rank: 44th
- Beer Per Capita: 25.7 Gallons
- Bottles: 35%
- Cans: 54.7%
- Kegs: 10%
- Per Gallon: $0.16
- Per Case: $0.35
- Tax Per Barrel (24/12 Case): $4.85
- Draught Tax Per Barrel (in Kegs): $4.85
Economic Impact (2010):
- From Brewing: $23,500,426
- Direct Impact: $189,852,007
- Supplier Impact: $71,835,338
- Induced Economic Impact: $124,430,536
- Total Impact: $386,117,881
- Control State: No
- Sale Hours: On Premises: 9 a.m.–1 a.m.
Off Premises: 9 a.m.–1 a.m. (Mon.–Sat.)
noon–8 p.m. (Sun.)Municipalities with a population over 50,000 persons may impose stricter hours of sale by local ordinance.
- Grocery Store Sales: No
- Notes: For off-premise consumption, alcohol may only be purchased in liquor stores, taprooms or brew pubs that have an off-premise license. No person under 21 may enter a liquor store or taproom for any reason even for the intent of purchasing only tobacco or lottery tickets. No sales of alcohol by liquor stores or taprooms are permitted during designated holidays.
Data complied, in part, from the Beer Institute’s Brewer’s Almanac 2010, Beer Serves America, the Brewers Association, Wikipedia and my World Factbook. If you see I’m missing a brewery link, please be so kind as to drop me a note or simply comment on this post. Thanks.
For the remaining states, see Brewing Links: United States.