What is The Session?
The Session, a.k.a. Beer Blogging Friday, is an opportunity once a month for beer bloggers from around the world to get together and write from their own unique perspective on a single topic. Each month, a different beer blogger hosts the Session, chooses a topic and creates a round-up listing all of the participants, along with a short pithy critique of each entry. Over time, it is the hope — of me, at least — that a record will be created with much useful information about various topics on the subject of beer. The idea for the Sessions began with fellow beer writer Stan Hieronymus, who noticed similar group endeavors in other blogospheres and suggested those of us in the beer world create our own project. Here is Stan’s original thought process to start up the Session.
How to Participate in a Session
If you write a beer or beer-related blog, please consider joining us on the Session project. It couldn’t be easier. The topic for each month is announced shortly after the previous month’s Session, meaning you have about three weeks to consider what you want to write about within the topic. And as long as it has something to do with the theme, you can pretty much do whatever you feel is appropriate for you. Then on the first Friday of the month, write your post. Usually, you then just let the host know what the URL (the specific web address or permalink to your post, not your home page) is so he can include it in his or her roundup. Each host does it slightly differently, but usually it’s just by sending an e-mail or posting a comment.
I would encourage each participant to use the Session logo for your Session posts because it lends consistency to all of our efforts and makes it easy for readers to know and understand that your post is part of a larger project. But it’s by no means mandatory. I made a version both with and without the subtitle “Beer Blogging Friday.” They’re free to use, of course, but please don’t hotlink to them. Please download them and host them on your server or use a photo hosting website like Photobucket.
Here is a list of all the announcements, roundups and my own contributions for all The Sessions to date:
Volunteer to Host The Session
Do you own a beer related blog and want to host a Session? To host one of the monthly Sessions, you’ll need to do the following:
- Reserve the next free month or any specific month not yet taken. To do this, please contact me via Jay (.) Brooks (@) gmail (.) com or Stan Hieronymus of Appellation Beer. His e-mail is stan (@) appellationbeer (.) com.
- Choose your beer-related topic or theme. See the list above of past Sessions both for ideas and also to insure you pick something we haven’t already done.
- Announce your theme by posting about it. This should be done right after the roundup of the previous Session. Also, please send Stan and/or myself an e-mail to let us know it’s up so we can help spread the word.
- Do a reminder post about a week before the first Friday of your month.
- Post your own entry on your topic.
- Post a roundup. Some hosts run updates all day. Some hosts wait until the end before posting their roundup.
- Announce who the next host will be. Usually, you can do this in your roundup.